Follow Profiles in Science on Pinterest!
The Oswald T. Avery Collection
- Beitrage zur Variabilitat der Pneumokokken
- This article by Neufeld and Levinthal of the Robert Koch Institute in Berlin confirmed earlier research, conducted by Fred
Griffith of the British Ministry of Health, which demonstrated that pneumococci could be made to change types. Lionel Alloway
in Avery's lab would later expand on these findings in a 1932 article.
- Number of Image Pages:
- 18 (1,511,070 Bytes)
- Neufeld, F.
- Levinthal, Walter
- Periodical: Neufeld, F., and Walter Levinthal. "Beitrage zur Variabilitat der Pneumokokken." Zeitschrift fur Immunitatsforschung
55, (1928): 324-340. Article. 18 Images.
- Gustav Fischer Verlag
- Reproduced with permission of Gustav Fischer Verlag.
- Exhibit Category:
- The "Sugar-Coated Microbe" and the Search for a Cure for Pneumonia, 1919-1929
- The Transformation In Vitro of R Pneumococci into S Forms of Different Specific Types by the Use of Filtered Pneumococcus
Extracts (January 1, 1932)
- The Interconvertibility of 'R' and 'S' Forms of Pneumococcus (April 1, 1928)
- The Transformation of Pneumococcal Types In Vitro (1930)
- Further Observations on the Use of Pneumococcus Extracts in Effecting Transformation of Type In Vitro (February 1, 1933)
- Box Number: 1
- Folder Number: 5
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Physical Condition:
- Series: Research and Discovery of the Transforming Principle, 1912-1999
- SubSeries: Preliminary Research
- Folder: Scientific Articles, 1928-1937, 1966, 1980-1984
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
U.S. National Library of Medicine, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20894
National Institutes of Health,
Department of Health & Human Services