Follow Profiles in Science on Pinterest!
The Charles R. Drew Papers
- Memorandum from Charles R. Drew to John Bush (on the establishment of a permanent "blood bank")
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (71,860 Bytes)
- 1940-01-31 (January 31, 1940)
- Drew, Charles R.
- Bush, John
- Columbia University. College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Original Repository: Howard University. Moorland-Spingarn Research Center. Charles R. Drew Papers
- Reproduced with permission of the Moorland-Spingarn Research Center.
- Medical Subject Headings (MeSH):
- Blood Banks
- Exhibit Category:
- Becoming "the Father of the Blood Bank," 1938-1941
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Physical Condition:
- Jan. 31, 1940
- Memo: To Mr. John Bush
- From: Dr. C.R. Drew
- Re: Establishment of a permanent "blood bank".
- After six months trial as an experiment the following facts seem pertinant:
- Blood preserved for a few days is not markedly different in cellular contents, chemical make-up and biological properties
from fresh whole blood.
- Certain limitations in its use have been shown to be wise.
- The presence of blood of all types, serologically tested and from healthy donors speeds up the efficiency of the hospital,
reduces the cost of transfusions and greatly increases the insurance against fatalities in great emergencies.
- To establish a permant bank the following suggestions are offered:
- Move bank to larger quarters, preferably the former store room on Q floor.
- Make the service a 24 hour one.
- Use the enlarged quarters for the blood bank clinic, for the taking of blood from individual donors any time during the day
or night, for the typing and serological examinations of all bloods that go through the bank and the care of all apparatus
for its taking and giving.
- To do this the personal should be as follows:
- Full time nurse in charge
- Full time technician for day duty
- Surgical interne on bacteriology for night duty
- Two full time nurses aids.
- One part time nurse to assist in the clinic.
- One part time secretary to aid in clinic and keep records.
- One full time medical student assistant to aid the doctor in charge.
- C.R. Drew
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
U.S. National Library of Medicine, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20894
National Institutes of Health,
Department of Health & Human Services