Follow Profiles in Science on Pinterest!
The Charles R. Drew Papers
- Letter from Charles R. Drew to Albert Deutsch
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (50,456 Bytes)
- 1944-10-28 (October 28, 1944)
- Drew, Charles R.
- Deutsch, Albert
- PM Daily Newspaper
- Original Repository: Howard University. Moorland-Spingarn Research Center. Charles R. Drew Papers
- Reproduced with permission of the Moorland-Spingarn Research Center.
- Exhibit Category:
- "My Chief Interest Was and Is Surgery"--Howard University, 1941-1950
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Letters (correspondence)
- Physical Condition:
- October 28, 1944
- Dear Mr. Deutsch:
- Accept my belated thanks for your two reprints, "Psychiatry as State Medicine," and "The First U.S. Census of
the Insane and its Use as Pro-Slavery Propaganda." I realized when talking with you the time we met at the Statler that
you were interested in this phase of Medicine but I had no idea that you had gone into it quite so thoroughly. One can never
tell what the limits of a good newspaper man's interests are. These articles are darn good medical writing.
- We naturally have been interested in your recent raising of the question of the policies of the American College of Surgeons.
As you may know, they have appointed a committee to re-evaluate their criteria for admission and out of it something may come.
If so, I think you and your paper may feel that you have played a part of eradicating another unnecessary evil.
- Please give my regards to your fiance -- or is it Mrs. Deutsch now? Also, accept my thanks both for the reprints and for your
continued good work in your columns.
- Sincerely yours,
- Charles R. Drew, M.D.
- Department of Surgery
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
U.S. National Library of Medicine, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20894
National Institutes of Health,
Department of Health & Human Services