Follow Profiles in Science on Pinterest!
The Charles R. Drew Papers
- Letter from the Journal of the American Medical Association to Charles R. Drew
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (66,211 Bytes)
- 1947-01-22 (January 22, 1947)
- Fishbein, Morris
- Journal of the American Medical Association
- Drew, Charles R.
- Original Repository: Howard University. Moorland-Spingarn Research Center. Charles R. Drew Papers
- Reproduced with permission of the American Medical Association.
- Copyright 1947. All Rights Reserved. American Medical Association.
- Exhibit Category:
- "My Chief Interest Was and Is Surgery"--Howard University, 1941-1950
- Letter [to the Editor] from Charles R. Drew to the Journal of the American Medical Association (January 13, 1947)
- Letter from Charles R. Drew to the Journal of the American Medical Association (January 30, 1947)
- Letter from the Journal of the American Medical Association to Charles R. Drew (February 3, 1947)
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Letters (correspondence)
- Physical Condition:
- January 22, 1947
- Dear Dr. Drew:
- I have read with great interest your letter of January 13, which comes to me following my return from a trip to the East.
I will refer your letter to Dr. George F. Lull, Secretary of the American Medical Association, so that it may be brought officially
to the attention of the Board of Trustees.
- You realize, of course, that Negro physicians may now attain membership in the American Medical Association but that, according
to our by-laws, it is necessary that membership be secured through entrance into a county medical society. It has always been
the province of every county medical society to determine its own membership. There is no other way in which membership in
the American Medical Association can be secured by anyone. Many Negro physicians are now members.
- As you are of course aware, representations have appeared before the House of Delegates of the American Medical Association.
If a state medical society were to elect a Negro delegate, I am quite sure he would be received in the House of Delegates.
- Sincerely yours,
- Morris Fishbein
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
U.S. National Library of Medicine, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20894
National Institutes of Health,
Department of Health & Human Services