I was very much pleased with the confidence implicit in your asking me to stand for nomination to your board.
I have also been interested to peruse the annual reports. IBEC is connected with many pressing problems throughout the world.
Many of them are fascinating -- perhaps almost too much so, for they would take me far afield from even the most peripheral
areas where I could be most help to you.
My initial reaction is therefore a counter proposal: I will be glad to meet with you at NTF/Sonoma on July 23, and to stay
in touch with you from time to time on opportunities for genetic improvement developments.
For the time being, I feel that board membership would entail
[END PAGE ONE]
[BEGIN PAGE TWO]
deeper responsibilities and commitment to time on a fixed schedule than I can digest. This is not to preclude further discussion
of the possibility in the future.
As to compensation, I do not wish a fee for my present level of responsibility (beyond travel expense or the like as necessary).
If at some later time, IBEC wished to make a contribution to the Rockefeller University, that would, needless to say be warmly
received. I could well understand the view that would prefer to wait for the materialization of some benefit to IBEC; but
I hardly wish to be the seat of any impediment to a philanthropic impulse!
I am very keen to see some constructive action in poultry improvement and related fields. If the week of July 23 is convenient
would you also wish me to broker a visit
[END PAGE TWO]
[BEGIN PAGE THREE]
to Cetus at Berkely [sic], Calif?
You mentioned a meeting the evening of May 27. My schedule for that time is still murky. I will be out of town intermittently
until about May 12 but will try to have a firmer answer about then.
If my suggestions are reasonably agreeable to you, I will definitely save the July 23 date, and look forward to a continued
association at this measure.
I hope Mr. Hoskins did come through his procedure as well as was hoped and forecast.