Original Repository: Howard University. Moorland-Spingarn Research Center. Charles R. Drew Papers
Reproduced with permission of the Moorland-Spingarn Research Center.
Resumes (personnel records)
Drew, Charles Richard
Born Washington, D.C., 1904.
A.B. Amherst College, 1926
M.D., and C.M. (Master of Surgery), McGill University, 1933; Med. Doc. Science 1940 Columbia University College of Physicians
Member of Alpha Omege [sic] Alpha, McGill University
Distinguished athlete - was all time top scorer in a Canadian intercollegial track competition.
Externe - Interne, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Canada; Chief of Medicine, Dr. Jonathan C. Meakins
General Rotating Internship, Montreal General Hospital, 1933 - 1934
Resident in Medicine, Montreal General Hospital, 1934 - 1935; Chief of Staff, Dr. Palmer Howard
Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners, 1934
1935 - 1936 -- Instructor in Pathology, Howard University, College of Medicine; Chief, Dr. Robert S. Jason
1936 - 1937 -- Assistant in Surgery, Howard University, Resident in Surgery, Freedmen's Hospital. Chief, Dr. E.L. Howes
1937 - 1938 -- Instructor in Surgery, Howard University; Assistant Surgeon, Freedmen's Hospital
1938 - 1939) General Education Board Fellow in Surgery, Columbia
1939 - 1940) University; Resident in Surgery, Presbyterian Hospital, New York City
1940 -- Degree Med. D. Sc., Columbia University, June, 1940
1940 - 1941 -- Assistant Professor of Surgery, Howard University; Surgeon, Freedmen's Hospital
On leave of absence, September 1940; Medical Supervisor, Blood Plasma Division, Blood Transfusion Association, New York City;
in charge of collection of blood plasma for British Army.
February, 1941, Director, Red Cross Blood Bank, New York City; Assistant Director of Blood Procurement for the National Research
Council; in charge of collection of blood for use by the United States Army and Navy.
April, 1941, Certified by the American Board of Surgery, at Johns Hopkins Hospital
October, 1941, Chief Surgeon, Freedmen's Hospital -- Professor of Surgery, Howard University.
Author and Co-author of many authoritative pamphets [sic] dealing with the blood and its therapy.
One of pioneers in development of blood plasma obtained from animals and made suitable for human beings.
Member - Blood Transfusion Betterment Association
Awarded the Spingarn Medal - 1943; for highest and noblest achievement by an American Negro during the preceding year.
Contributions to Medical Publications by Dr. Charles Richard Drew
1. 1939 - Anhydremia in Appendicitis
Surgical Clinics of North America
Co-author, John Scudder and Lawrence W. Sloan
2. 1939 - Plasma Potassium Content of Cardiac Blood at Death
American Journal of Physiology, 126; 337 - 340
3. 1939 - Studies in Blood Preservation -- The Fate of Cellular Elements in Relation to Potassium Diffusion
Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, 25: 240 - 245
Co-author, K. Edsell and J. Scudder
5. 1940 - Controlled Fluid Therapy
Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, 70: 859 - 867
Co-author, J. Scudder and J.J. Pepps
6. 1940 - Preservation of Placental Blood
American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 40: 461 - 463
Co-author, J. Scudder and V.D. Demon
7. 1940 - Preservation of Blood
Annals of Surgery, 112: 498 - 501
Co-author, D.C. Bull
8. 1940 - The Serum Potassium of Cadaver Blood
Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, 71:48
Co-author: M. Smith and J. Scudder
9. 1940 - Thesis: Banked Blood - A Study of Blood Preservation
Columbia University -- Med. D. Sc.
10. 1941 - Newer Knowledge of Blood Transfusions
Bulletin, New York Academy of Medicine, 17: 373- 398
Co-author, J. Scudder, E. Tuthill, M.E. Smith
11. 1941 - The Early Recognition and Treatment of Shock
American Journal of Anesthesiology, Vol. 3:176 - 194, Mar. 1942
12. 1941 - Report of the Blood Transfusion Association, Concerning the Project of Supplying Blood Plasma to England.
Blood Transfusion Association, New York
13. 1941 - Fate of Cellular Elements and Prothrombin Incitrated Blood
Journal Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, 21: 1473
14. 1941 - The Pathological Physiology of Peritonitis
National Medical Association Journal -- to be published
15. 1941 - The Treatment of Shock -- Section for 12th Edition of Charles Scudder's book "Fractures" -- in preparation.