The Michael Heidelberger Papers
- [Michael Heidelberger with delegates at the Indian Science Congress in Calcutta, India]
High resolution version (16,909,116 Bytes)
- Heidelberger with delegates to the Indian Science Congress, held in Calcutta in early January 1952. Fourth from the left
is Arthur Stoll, assistant of Richard Willstatter at the University of Zurich when Heidelberger studied there in 1911-1912.
To Heidelberger's left is the vice chancellor of the University of New Delhi. Heidelberger was selected as a replacement
for Linus Pauling, who was unable to attend the Congress for medical reasons.
- Lectures at the Congress were held in a large tent, and, however technical, were open to the public. They were attended by
entire families, including grandparents and young children.
- Heidelberger spent six weeks in India, and had dinner with Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, during which the two did not discuss
science but U.S. foreign policy. He also seized the opportunity to study the immunological properties of elephants, an idea
first proposed, half jokingly, by Oswald Avery when he had become frustrated with the small amounts of antiserum produced
by rabbits, the standard experimental animal in immunology. Heidelberger injected human gamma globulin into the ear vein
of a work elephant, and found that the animal was indeed a good producer of antiserum to the human gamma globulin.
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (205,190 Bytes)
- Date Supplied:
- January 1952
- Courtesy of Michael Heidelberger.
The National Library of Medicine's Profiles in Science
program has made every effort to secure proper permissions
for posting items on the web site. In this instance, however,
it has either not been possible to identify or contact the
current copyright owner.
If you have information regarding the copyright owner,
please contact us at
- Medical Subject Headings (MeSH):
- Congresses as Topic
- Allergy and Immunology
- Exhibit Category:
- Antigens and Antibodies: Heidelberger and The Rise of Quantitative Immunochemistry, 1928-1954
- Letter from Michael Heidelberger to C. W. Shilling, United States Department of the Navy (February 11, 1952)
- Letter from M. V. Lakshminarayan Rao, Central Food Technological Research Institute (Mysore, India) to Michael Heidelberger
(August 13, 1953)
- Box Number: 36
- Folder Number: 58
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Photographic prints
- Physical Condition:
- Series: MS C 245a (second finding aid)
- SubSeries: Photographs, 1901-1988 (bulk 1950-1980)
- Folder: [Michael Heidelberger and colleagues]
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
- Linked Data: