The Michael E. DeBakey Papers
- [Michael DeBakey with his first wife, Diana, and friends in Boca Raton, Florida]
High resolution version (12,388,944 Bytes)
- At this time (1956) Dr. DeBakey was establishing himself as a leading vascular surgeon, pioneering the successful use of homografts
and synthetic fabric grafts for aneurysm repair, and doing his first surgeries using hypothermia and new cardiopulmonary bypass
pump technology. See, for example, "Hypothermia in the Surgical Treatment of Aortic Aneurysms," "Aneurysm of Thoracoabdomical
Aorta involving the Celiac, Superior Mesenteric, and Renal Arteries," "Surgical Treatment of Aortic Aneurysms,"
and "Temporary Extracorporeal Circulation in the Surgical Treatment of Cardiac and Aortic Disease."
- The occasion for this visit to Florida is not indicated on the photo.
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (151,935 Bytes)
- 1956-12 (December 1956)
- Courtesy of Katrin DeBakey.
The National Library of Medicine's Profiles in Science
program has made every effort to secure proper permissions
for posting items on the web site. In this instance, however,
it has either not been possible to identify or contact the
current copyright owner.
If you have information regarding the copyright owner,
please contact us at
- Exhibit Category:
- Biographical Information
- Hypothermia in the Surgical Treatment of Aortic Aneurysms (May 1956)
- Aneurysm of Thoracoabdominal Aorta Involving the Celiac, Superior Mesenteric, and Renal Arteries. Report of Four Cases Treated
by Resection and Homograft Replacement (October 1956)
- Box Number:
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Photographic prints
- Physical Condition:
- Series: Photographs and Artworks, [ca. 1908]-2007
- SubSeries: Professional Photographs, 1917-2007
- SubSubSeries: Events
- Folder: Boca Raton, FL, 1956 Dec
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
- Linked Data: