The Michael E. DeBakey Papers
- [Michael DeBakey with Princess Liliane of Belgium, at the University of Ghent]
High resolution version (19,738,070 Bytes)
- From left to right: Dr. P. Lambrechts (University Rector), DeBakey, Princess Liliane of Belgium, Dr. E. Derou, Dr. F. Derou,
Dr. R. Panier, Dr. Von Landschoot.
- DeBakey and Princess Liliane of Belgium (center) talk with physicians at the University of Ghent, September 13, 1961. Liliane
had invited DeBakey to give a series of lectures and demonstrations to Belgian surgeons in 1961, with the aim of improving
cardiac surgery in that country. The Princess, whose son Alexander had a congenital heart defect repaired by Boston surgeon
Robert Gross in 1957, became committed to supporting the expansion of cardiovascular surgery. She established the Princess
Liliane Cardiologic Foundation in 1958, and met DeBakey through their mutual friend, philanthropist Mary Lasker, soon after.
Princess Liliane's interest in cardiac surgery extended to attending operations as an observer occasionally, which is
why she is wearing surgical scrubs and cap in this photo. She later visited DeBakey in Houston, and attended surgical operations
there, too. On August 19, 1975, DeBakey repaired an aneurysm of the abdominal aorta for Liliane's husband, King Leopold.
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (242,359 Bytes)
- 1961-09-13 (September 13, 1961)
- Unknown Organization
- Courtesy of Katrin DeBakey.
The National Library of Medicine's Profiles in Science
program has made every effort to secure proper permissions
for posting items on the web site. In this instance, however,
it has either not been possible to identify or contact the
current copyright owner.
If you have information regarding the copyright owner,
please contact us at
- Exhibit Category:
- DeBakey as Medical Statesman
- Box Number:
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Photographic prints
- Physical Condition:
- Series: Photographs and Artworks, [ca. 1908]-2007
- SubSeries: Professional Photographs, 1917-2007
- SubSubSeries: International Travel
- Folder: International Travel, 1960-1963
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
- Linked Data: