The Sol Spiegelman Papers
- [Lasker Medical Awards recipients]
High resolution version (13,530,464 Bytes)
- Caption reads: NEW YORK, N.Y., NOV. 13--LASKER MEDICAL AWARDS--Professor John Charnley (right) was named today to receive
the $10,000, 1974 Albert Lasker Clinical Medical Research Award, one of the prizes presented for the 29th year by the Albert
and Mary Lasker Foundation. Charnley, C.B.E., D.Sc., F.R.C.S., and F.A.C.S., is professor of orthopaedic Surgery and director
of the Center for Hip Surgery, Wrightington Hospital, Wigan, England. Others presented $5,000 awards for basic research contributions
in cancer, were, from the left: Dr. Sol Spiegelman, director of the Institute of Cancer Research, College of Physicians and
Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, N.Y., honored for his contributions to molecular biology, including the techniques
of molecular hybridization, and the first synthesis of an infectious nucleic acid; Dr. Ludwik Gross, senior medical investigator
and chief of the cancer research unit, Veterans Administration Hospital, Bronx, N.Y., honored for his original discovery of
leukemia-inducing and cancer-inducing viruses in mammals and elucidation of their biology and epidemiology; Dr. Howard W.
Skipper, director of the Kettering-Meyer Laboratory and president of the Southern Research Institute, Birmingham, Ala., honored
for his contributions to biology, biochemistry, cell kinetics and pharmacology which have laid the foundations for the chemotherapy
of cancer, and Dr. Howard M. Temin, American Cancer Research Professor at the University of Wisconsin--Madison, honored for
his contributions to the biology of RNA-containing cancer viruses, and elucidation of the mode of action of viral genes.
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (287,536 Bytes)
- 1974-11-13 (November 13, 1974)
- [Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation]
- MS C 415, Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation--Albert Lasker Awards Archives, 1946-, Modern Manuscripts Collection, History
of Medicine Division, National Library of Medicine, USA.
- This image may also be accessed from the Images from the History of Medicine (IHM).
- URL: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/ihm/
- IHM Order Number: B09556
- This item is in the public domain. It may be used without permission.
- Medical Subject Headings (MeSH):
- Awards and Prizes
- Exhibit Category:
- RNA Viruses and Cancer--Institute of Cancer Research at Columbia, 1969-1983
- [Recipients of awards in the 29th annual Lasker Foundation presentations] (November 14, 1974)
- Box Number:
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Photographic prints
- Physical Condition:
- Folder: [Selected photographs gathered from the Images from the History of Medicine]
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
- Linked Data: