The C. Everett Koop Papers
- [C. Everett Koop at a reception in the Dominican Republic celebrating the successful separation of Siamese twins Alta and
High resolution version (14,017,100 Bytes)
- After separating Siamese twins Alta and Clara Rodriguez in a 10-hour operation at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia,
Koop and main assistant during the operation Dr. Louise Schnaufer, accompanied the sixteen-month old twins on their return
to their native Dominican Republic. There they were feted as national celebrities by dignitaries, including President Joaquin
Balaguer, as well as local citizens in the twins' home town of San Jose de Ocoa. To Koop's left are the twins'
parents, Farida and Salvador Rodriguez.
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (332,127 Bytes)
- 1975-01-04 (January 4, 1975)
- Courtesy of C. Everett Koop.
The National Library of Medicine's Profiles in Science
program has made every effort to secure proper permissions
for posting items on the web site. In this instance, however,
it has either not been possible to identify or contact the
current copyright owner.
If you have information regarding the copyright owner,
please contact us at
- Exhibit Category:
- Congenital Birth Defects and the Medical Rights of Children: The "Baby Doe" Controversy
- Folder Number:
- Scrapbook #99
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Photographic prints
- Physical Condition:
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
- Linked Data: