Subject: Preliminary Report on Grassroots Approach to the Discharge Petition
Following our conversation in your car on June 24, I contacted Carl Anderson
and Bill Gribben. It was their suggestion that I not talk personally to pro-life leaders but rather let them do it. I will
have a report on their activities subsequently. There follows what has happened just in reference to my constituency involved
with the films and the books that I have done on "Whatever Happened to the Human Race."
1. Gospel Films, Inc., which receives hundreds of calls a day from churches, will tell each caller of the problem and suggest
having church members write to their congressman in reference to Petition 5 on H.R. 3154.
2. Cal Thomas, Public Relations Director of the Moral Majority, working from London, is getting word to their 50 regional
headquarters to start their telephone tree the first of next week. This should mobilize 2500 phone calls, without identifying
the Moral Majority, by midweek.
3. The Christian Broadcasting Network will have a news item on television
concerning the Discharge Petition and they will editorialize by suggesting that their listeners write their representatives.
4. New Wine magazine, with 90,000 subscribers, is telephoning their key
representatives to start telephone trees in operation.
5. Moody Radio in Chicago, with 200 affiliate stations, taped a 4 l/2 minute
interview with my film director, Frankie Schaeffer, through which the Discharge Petition was mentioned five times and instructions
given on what to say to a congressman. That station has a constant listenership of 1 million.
6. The Christian News Service, with 500 stations, will carry a news item by Henry Hyde with instructions on how to get in
touch with a congressman.
7. The 250 most wealthy and influential supporters of my film project have received telegrams from my producer with instructions
about the Discharge Petition.
8. Area coordinators who ran the publicity for my films in 20 cities will do the same.
9. Mary Crowley, a strong Texas supporter of the President, was meeting with 40 State representatives of her business, Home
Interiors, Inc., when my director reached her with the message about the Discharge Petition. Those 40 ladies returned to their
homes on the evening of June 25 and will be transmitting this message to their 25,000 employees.
10. John Quade, a Hollywood actor and a member of the New Right, is personally going to spend the day making telephone calls
around the country.
11. Gary North, Economic Advisor to Bunker Hunt, stopped the press on his 7,000 newsletters which go to influential wealthy
people around the country and inserted instructions about the Discharge Petition. He says that his readers usually take his
advice on matters having to do with Congressional letters.
12. Crossway Books will call their distributors with a similar message.
It would have been impossible to plan the following, but nevertheless it is all happening at the same time.
Christianity Today hits the newsstands now (250,000 subscribers) with an article in it about the unfairness of the press in
their treatment of me and instructions on how to write congressmen.
New Wine magazine, with a circulation of 90,000, has just reached subscribers
with a similar article.
The newsletter (37,000) from the production company which made my films has been delivered on the West Coast and will reach
eastern homes no later than next Wednesday. The newsletter is a long dissertation on the way the press has handled my situation.
These are my core supporters in a personal way in the pro-life movement and can be expected to respond.
It is estimated by my director and producer that the aforementioned four-hour effort should result in ten million people getting
the message about the Discharge Petition.
All national and State pro-life groups have been contacted and will give the
matter top priority.
People are working the doors in the House to get signatures on Petition #5 H.R. 3154.