The Mary Lasker Papers
- [Mary Lasker at the first meeting of the National Cancer Advisory Board at the National Cancer Institute]
High resolution version (15,830,235 Bytes)
- Lasker had successfully lobbied in the late 1940s for the establishment of scientific advisory councils that guided the direction
of NIH by approving research grants made by individual institutes. These councils included laypersons as well as physicians
and scientists. For many years, Lasker was the only woman on the NIH scientific advisory councils on which she served. Morris
Fishbein, editor of Medical World News, wrote that Lasker was "acutely sensitive to the prejudice that she is only a lay
woman in a world of men and scientists." Nevertheless, she served on the National Advisory Cancer Council for over twenty
years, and learned to use her position to push NIH to support new scientific fields, such as cancer chemotherapy.
- Standing from left to right: Dr. James Watson, Dr. Kenneth Krabbenhoft, Dr. Clarke Wescoe, Dr. James L. Gilmore(?), Dr. Philippe
Shubik, Dr. Wendell Scott, Dr. John Hartmann, Mrs. Lasker, Dr. Sol Spiegelman, Dr. Leonard E. Laster, Dr. Irving London, Dr.
Sidney Farber, Dr. Jonathan Rhoads, Dr. Carl Baker, Mr. Benno Schmidt, Dr. John Hogness, Mr. Donald Johnson, Dr. Arnold Brown,
Dr. Gerald Murphy, Dr. Harold Rusch, Dr. William Shingleton, Dr. Lyndon Lee, Dr. Leon Jacobson, and Dr. Murray Angevine.
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (289,768 Bytes)
- Date Supplied:
- 20-22 March 1972
- Original Repository: Columbia University. Rare Book and Manuscript Library. Mary Lasker Papers
- Courtesy of the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation.
The National Library of Medicine's Profiles in Science
program has made every effort to secure proper permissions
for posting items on the web site. In this instance, however,
it has either not been possible to identify or contact the
current copyright owner.
If you have information regarding the copyright owner,
please contact us at
- Exhibit Category:
- Cancer Wars
- Box Number:
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Photographic prints
- Physical Condition:
- Series: Series III
- SubSeries: Photographs
- Folder: Mary Lasker at first meeting of National Advisory Board, March 1972
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
- Linked Data: