Visual Culture and Health Posters
- [Smoke and You Destroy Yourself] [Translated from Russian]
High resolution version (6,466,744 Bytes)
- With innovative digitally manipulated images, educators and activists can convey traditional public health messages in novel
forms. This ad created by the Russian Information Agency, Novotsi, and distributed by the World Health Organization, suggests
that tobacco use is dangerous, if not deadly, by manipulating the photo of a man smoking to reveal the intensely striking
apparition of a skull behind the melting flesh of his face, which is engulfed in flames rising from his cigarette. Through
graphic manipulation, the image associates the act of smoking with self-immolation. The frightening image effectively complements
the written message: "Smoke and you will destroy yourself."
- NOTE: Slide of original poster image is slightly blurry.
- Number of Image Pages:
- 1 (699,633 Bytes)
- Date Supplied:
- Original Repository: History of Medicine Division. Prints and Photographs Collection
- This image may also be accessed from the Images from the History of Medicine (IHM).
- URL: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/ihm/
- IHM Order Number: A013775
- World Health Organization
- Reproduced with permission of the World Health Organization.
- Medical Subject Headings (MeSH):
- Smoking Cessation
- Public Health
- Visual Culture and Public Health Keywords:
- The Smoker
- Exhibit Category:
- Anti-Smoking Campaigns
- Unique Identifier:
- Document Type:
- Slides (photographs)
- Physical Condition:
- Metadata Last Modified Date:
- Linked Data: