Interview with Shun-Ichi Hata
- Interview with Shun-Ichi Hata
- Hata, Shun-Ichi
- 28 July 2004
- Dr. Hata received a BS from Tokyo Metropolitan University in 1960, then worked as a researcher at Chugai Pharmaceutical Company for several years before obtaining a PhD from the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science at the University of Kyusyu in 1969. He then accepted a two-year postdoctoral fellowship with Dr. Szent-Gyorgyi at the Institute for Muscle Research. He returned to Japan and to Chugai, as senior researcher, and later became head of research there. He contributed to the development of two kinds of gene-derived pharmaceutical products, EPO and G-CSF, which are still of great value. From 1995 to 1997 he was director of research at Sugar-Chain Technology in Tokyo. Since retiring, he has stayed busy as a medical writer and nature guide.. Dr. Hata was not available for an interview in person, but answered the interview questions in a letter dated July 28, 2004.
- Reproduced with permission of Shun-Ichi Hata.
- 5 pages
- Legacy ID:
- NLM ID:
- Profiles Collection:
- The Albert Szent-Gyorgyi Papers
- Story Section:
- The National Foundation for Cancer Research, 1973-1986